~makeshift mudroom~

A couple years ago we turned our hallway coat closet into something a little more functional for our family.
When you have a small house, every bit of space counts.
I started by taking off the doors.
I then added bead board wainscoting, and painted it white.
I painted the upper portion of the walls tee pee brown
by behr to match the rest of the hallway.
I purchased this and this from Target, both in black.
They are just like these from Pottery Barn, only a lot less expensive.
We use this space now to hold a lot of odds and ends, and also as a place for the kids to get organized with their school work.

Baskets are from Ikea.
I labeled each one using these,
only adding their names on scrapbook paper.
The canvas' of the kids are from here.


Now they have their own baskets for misc. items
I find laying around the house, projects, etc.
They each have their own clipboard too.
This is something new I started this year and it is working out really well.
When they get home from school each day they put their homework, notes home to parents, etc. on their individual clipboards.
I can then sign permission slips, check over papers, and not have paperwork strewn all over the house.

The cushion the bench comes with is practical but not all that pretty.
I found this great fabric at a flea market and wrapped it around the cushions, and added a few of my favorite ruffly pillows.


The center cubby holds my small collection of vintage clocks.

Closeup of the fabrics.
I found this old green chalkboard at the goodwill recently for $4!
Below the bench I have these old crates that in the winter store mittens, hats, flashlights, etc.
In the summer all those things are replaced with baseballs and mitts, tennis balls, sunscreen, sunglasses, and goggles.
It was really hard to get a good shot of this space because it is so small and tucked back in.
The only thing I want to get now is this!
I think it would be cute next to the chalkboard, not to mention practical!
xoxo

0 comments:

Post a Comment