~DIY day~

I have always wanted/loved Ballard Designs Pruvost plaque.
However, I could not justify spending almost $300 with shipping.
Therefore, I decided to tackle the project myself.
I have step by step instructions for you, so you can make one as well! Start out with 1x6 pine boards. These are inexpensive and can be found at any hardware store. You will need a router and a biscuit joiner and biscuits. Decide how big you want your plaque and join the pieces of wood together with wood glue and biscuits.
Let dry.
You will have something that looks similar to this.

Next you will need to make a pattern.
I used wrapping paper because it was the only thing big enough.
Tape it to your joined wood.
The next part can be a bit tricky.
Roughly freehand your shape/pattern onto the paper and cut out.


Re-tape to the wood and use a sharpie to outline right onto the wood.
Now you have your shape.


Using a jigsaw cut out the shape .
As you can see, I did mine in my living room because it was pouring rain outside, however I recommend doing it outdoors.
I had quite a mess to clean up!

Once it is cut out,
sand the edges smooth and clean all the dust off.


I had some stain lying around, you can use any
color to match your decor.
Apply 2 coats of stain, letting dry between coats.
I just used a inexpensive foam brush.

While it is drying
{and it takes a while!}
Cut trim for the top.
I had trim laying around in my work shop, you can use whatever you have, or you can buy some decorative moulding.
Paint it a soft green.
I used Wedge wood green because again, it is what I had.

When trim and plaque are both dry use wood glue to glue on trim. Finish nails may be required.
In my case, the glue was enough.


Next you will need to apply the wording.
If you don't feel like your hand is steady enough to freehand, you can use stencils.
Paint the lettering black.

And there you have it!
Because I had all the supplies on hand this project cost me.......
NOTHING!!!

When my husband gets home today I am going to have him hang it in the living room above these 3 pictures!

Good luck!
xoxo

0 comments:

Post a Comment