~what's for dinner?~

On the menu tonight at the Thompson house:
Moroccan-style stuffed acorn squashes,
compliments of my good friend Martha.
She's just so sweet!
Not only did she give me this incredible recipe
but she included it in a jam packed magazine with other
clever ideas, recipes, and decorating tips!
She is so good to me.
So while my acorns were roasting,
I browsed through the pages of her magazine and learned how to:
throw a bewitching Halloween party,
I learned a little about vintage cast-iron baking pans,
I learned how to create charming Halloween masks and candy containers,
I read about Martha's trip to Palm Springs,
and most importantly,
I learned about Caudiciform succulents!
Wow, she amazes me so!
ha-ha!

Anyway, I do have to say the dinner turned out
AMAZING
and so I am going to share it with you!
Here we go:
2 med. acorn squashes, halved and seeded
2 t. olive oil
3/4 lb-1 lb ground chuck
ground cinnamon and nutmeg
2 t. coarse salt
1/2 med. onion, finely chopped
4 cloves minced garlic
3/4 c. bulgur wheat
2 c. water
1/4 c. golden raisins
1/4 c. parsley chopped
2 T. pine nuts, toasted
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place squashes cut side down in a 9 x 13 casserole dish. Bake until tender, 35-40 minutes.
2) Meanwhile, heat oil in pan with a tight fitting lid. Add ground beef, and a pinch each of cinnamon and nutmeg and 1 t. salt. Cook until browned and cooked through.
3) Drain fat and add onion. Cook about 5 more minutes. Add garlic. Add remaining salt and the bulgur, and stir to combine. Add water and bring to a boil. reduce heat to med. low, cover, and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and add raisins, parsley, and pine nuts.
4) Scrape out baked squashes, forming 1/4" thick bowls, and fold flesh into bulgur mixture. Divide among squash halves, and return to oven. Bake until warmed through and the tops are browned, 12-14 minutes.
Enjoy!
xoxo
p.s. I added fresh shredded Parmesan to the tops of mine and it was delicious!

0 comments:

Post a Comment