~A DIY blackboard adds bistro-style charm to any kitchen or dining area~

I absolutely love my chalkboard wall in my kitchen.
I am so glad I did it!
The kids love it, it's a great conversation piece, and a handy place to jot down the grocery list or love notes to my husband!
So when I saw this article in house and home I knew I had to share it with you! Blackboard Basics
Using blackboard paint is a snap. You’ll have to invest a little time, but the actual technique is quite simple. The keys to success are to apply several coats (two to three), let each dry thoroughly, and allow the final coat to cure for several days before writing on the surface.
To prepare the surfaces, lightly sand the area with 120- or 140-grit sandpaper (this will allow the paint to adhere best to the surface). Wipe the surface with a damp cloth to clean away all dust.
Using low-tack masking tape, carefully tape off the area you will be painting.
Apply a coat of primer (use Benjamin Moore’s Fresh Start 023 primer on already-finished surfaces and Benjamin Moore’s Alkyd Enamel Underbody 217 on raw wood). Let dry overnight.
Apply a coat of blackboard paint (try Benjamin Moore’s Studio Finishes Chalkboard Paint 307). Let dry overnight.
Apply a second coat of blackboard paint. Let dry thoroughly. If needed, apply a third coat. To let the final coat dry thoroughly, wait at least three days (and ideally seven) before writing on the blackboard surface.
Project Details: Painted Door
What it Cost
Primer $14Blackboard paint $14TOTAL $28

Materials and Tools
Low-tack masking tape
Sandpaper
1 L blackboard paint
1 L primer
We painted the inner panel of our door, which created a “frame” for the blackboard section.
Step 1: Prepare door
Use masking tape to mark off the section of the door you would like to paint.
Step 2: Apply paint
article found here

*note* when I did mine, I didn't sand and it turned out just fine! Oh, and I let it dry to the touch, not overnight before putting on my second coat......and no primer, wow, I guess I don't follow directions well!

0 comments:

Post a Comment