~the buffet~ {a before and after}

 I showed you the changes in our dining room yesterday.
Today I thought I'd show you what this craigslist buffet looked like before.
Let me start by saying that I have HORRIBLE luck on craigslist.
I never find a thing. I have a couple friends that are kind enough to look for things for me when I'm in need of something specific.
They came up with some really great pieces, but they were either the wrong size, too far away, or already sold.
I was starting to get discouraged, and then I found this.
20 minutes away, $150.00, the exact size I needed, the curved front I longed for! :)
I emailed them and waited........
I got a response right away and went to pick it up immediately. 
 This is a antique, a real antique. It was the homeowners fathers fathers.
Some people would say it's a shame to paint over wood.
But, it was scratched and I new I didn't want something dark.
 It had a shiny varnish on it. 
I am not the most patient person in the world, like, at all.
I really didn't want to have to spend hours prepping this for paint.
That is why I LOVE Annie Sloan Chalk Paint.
NO SANDING OR PRIMING NECESSARY!
I used Old White, waxed it with their clear wax and added a bit of the dark wax in some places.
 The hardware wasn't bad but I wanted black. I just like the contrast.
I found some old black hardware at a salvage yard for under $20 for all of it.
 It is the PERFECT addition to this wall! 
It fills up the awkward space under the shelving perfectly.
And, not to mention all that extra storage!
 I haven't even filled it up yet.
I created a bar like area out of the top. 
I filled a bowl with limes and on the other end I placed a big pillar candle in a clear vase.
This old wood tool caddy holds all our liquor
{we really aren't that big of drinkers, but I just love how this looks!}
So, there you have it.
I hope I have inspired you to bring new life to an old piece of furniture with a little paint!
I had a few questions on our dining room table. 
To read about it, go here.
I am also listing "you are my sunshine" pillows in my etsy shop in a few! 
Limited number available!
{etsy link at the top of this page}
xoxo

0 comments:

Post a Comment