~what I'm cooking today~

~apple cake with brown sugar glaze~
Ingredients
Cake
3 cups all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
4 eggs
1 cup canola oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups finely chopped apples
1 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped (optional)

Brown Sugar Glaze
1 cup packed light brown sugar
6 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons heavy cream
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 9x13-inch pan and set aside.  In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. In a large bowl, beat the eggs until light and foamy. Add the oil and vanilla and mix well. Stir in the flour mixture with a spoon and continue stirring the batter til the flour disappears. Add the apples and nuts; mix well. Scrape the batter into prepared pan and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Set the cake on a wire rack.

While the cake is still hot, prepare the glaze.  Combine the brown sugar, butter, vanilla and heavy cream in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the mixture comes to a gentle boil. Continue cooking for 3 minutes. Spoon the hot glaze over the still warm cake. Let the glazed cake cool completely before serving straight from the pan. 

The kids start school tomorrow. 
It's Savannah's first year of Jr. High school.
I can't believe it, where did the time go.
I'm a little sad to see summer come to a end. I always get a little emotional at this time.
I think I get a little spoiled with the kids being at home and I start to get sad that I won't have them all to myself every day.
Today we meet Cody's teacher and drop supplies off in the classroom.
Then we are off to the state fair. Our one last hurrah before school starts tomorrow.
I hope you are all having a great day!
xoxo

0 comments:

Post a Comment