~diy day~

 Today I am going to show you how to make a vintage style clipboard out of old yardsticks or rulers and a few other materials.
To start you will need a piece of wood with a routered edge. 
You can get these at any craft store, or you can make your own if you have a router. 
Any size will work, depending on your needs.
I am making two for this tutorial, a small one and a large one.
 Stain your pieces of wood in a dark stain.
You could also use brown paint if you don't have any stain laying around.
Let dry completely.
 Gather your supplies.
You will need your plain wood plaque/plaques,
liquid nails, your yardsticks cut to the length of your plaque, and a small trowel.
 Start by laying a thin layer of liquid nails covering the front of the wood.
One by one add your cut pieces of yardsticks until the top is completely covered.
 Place something heavy on the top to weigh it down until it is dry.
I like to let it sit at least 4 hours. 
If you have the patience, leave it longer.
 When it is completely dry you can add hooks, clips, or whatever your heart desires.
 For the larger one I added a vintage clip.
It now acts as a clipboard that I can display a photo in.
I am thinking of making these as teacher gifts and adding a photo of the teacher with my child.
Or, another cute idea would be to have your child draw a picture and you
 could display their artwork in it.
 Just for fun, and to show you another version, I added a vintage brass hook to this one.
This could be used to hold car keys by the door, a small towel in the bathroom, etc. 
If you make one, be sure to email me and show me your version!
I have a few of these for sale at Ruffles and Rust in Snohomish if you don't feel like making one yourself!
xoxo

0 comments:

Post a Comment