~thrifty thursday~

Today we are headed outside into 
the beautiful sunshine for a little project.
I bought 4 of these planter boxes at a garage sale, last summer.
That's very embarrassing that they have been sitting for so long.
They were $5 a piece and I knew someday I'd get around to doing something with them.

Here is the before:
They do have special meaning to me though. 
They were made by my 6th grade teacher, it was his garage sale :)
 I just wanted to beef them up a little and add a bit more character.
So, to add trim, place planter on it's side and measure the width.
 Then cut a piece of wood, cedar preferably, I used pine because it was what I had on hand.
Stand the wood upright in your chop saw at a 45 degree angle and cut.
If you don't have a chop saw you can use a hand held saw 
or have someone at the hardware store cut for you.
 Each end should be cut on a 45 degree angle like this.
 The length I measured on the planter box from end to end was 19 1/2"
Therefore, I cut my piece of pine with the inside measurement being 19 1/2", 
not the outside or it would be too short.
Measure twice, cut once.
 Place the piece of trim on top where you want it to go and nail on. 
I used a nailer, but you can use a good old hammer and nails, or screw it on.

 Flip it over and repeat on the other side.
 Now you have 2 sides done.
 You just need to make a new measurement for the final 2 pieces inside 
those pieces already nailed on.
Cut the same way and nail on.
Your corners should look like this.
 If they don't match up perfectly, you can sand down.
 If you cut the angles correctly, the ends should meet up perfectly.
 Then it's time to prime and paint.
 I lucked out and got a sunny day!
 I painted mine Navajo White, the color of the trim on our house.
 After they are dry, they are ready to fill with flowers.
Before you do, you could always add cool old casters to the bottom. I was going to do this and changed my mind for the location of these 2, but might still for the other 2.
 I put them outside my studio flanking the french doors.
If you'd like to see the inside of the studio, just click on the home tour tab at the top of this page, then studio. 
Add water and watch grow!





I'm loving this sun!
xoxo

0 comments:

Post a Comment