~knock off Pottery Barn Kids flash card wall art~

 Today I am going to show you how to make a Pottery Barn Kids knock off wall art flashcard piece.
When I saw these on the website for $99, I knew I could challenge myself to make it for less.
Now they have gone on sale and are reasonably priced at $49.00.
{but don't forget about that shipping}
However, they didn't have the numbers I wanted, so I ended up creating one of my own.
{image below from Pottery Barn Kids}

 I wanted 2 + 2 += 4,
simply because there are 2 adults in our home and 2 kids~seemed logical.
I searched online under "vintage flashcard images" and found one.
I printed it out and took it to Staples where I had them enlarge it for $3.29.
{ask for a architectural print}
The frame I used was from a garage sale and was $5. 
It's almost the same size as the ones on Pottery Barn Kids website.
About 15" wide by 48" tall, so pretty big.
I spray painted it black and had glass, backing, flexi points, {to hold it all in} and a wire attached, all for $32.00 at my local craft store.
Here's the image I took into Staples.
 While my glass was getting cut I went in search of a glaze of some sort to make the stark white paper aged a bit, just like old flash cards.
What I found was this product. It was around $3.50.
So now you can see I'm up to around $44.00 and you are probably wondering why I just didn't buy the one on Pottery Barn Kids website.
Well, if you remember, they didn't have the numbers I wanted, and, there's always that shipping....
 When I got home I laid out my printout on the counter and just brushed on the stain with a foam brush, then let it dry.
 When it was dry I popped it in it's frame and hung it at the end of our hallway.
Super easy!
Wouldn't this be cute to do with old flashcards that have wording too?
 Close up....
So, what do you think? Are you gonna give it a try?
I'd say it makes a big impact for under $50.00, not bad.
xoxo

0 comments:

Post a Comment