~a chair makeover~

I picked up 2 of these caned back
armchairs at an estate sale last
month for $40.00 a piece. As you can see the peach fabric
is really outdated and while the dark wood is nice,
it doesn't fit in with the color scheme in our home.
So, I got out my handy dandy can of heirloom
white spray paint and sprayed away!
Yesterday I made these slips for the seats out of vintage
cotton feed and grain sacks.
I am very happy with how they turned out.

I made a 5" ruffle on each slip,
because you know I love ruffles!

The fun thing about these is the gorgeous colors
and the mix and match feed sacks.
I made the seat of this one from an old rice bag.
I think since they are dining room chairs it is appropriate
that they are made out of something related to food!

The other one I used a heavier Bemis sack as the seat,
complete with a few rust spots!

Here is a close up of the Rice sack seat.
I love the crown and the fact that it says Regal
is perfect since it is a head of the table chair!


I mixed up about 4 different sacks to make the ruffles.
This one has a large rose on it with some fun wording.

There is no rhyme or reason to the ruffle.
I figured the more grain sacks I used, the more eclectic it would look.

I made ties for each arm out of leftover grain sack scraps.
These can easily come off and be thrown into the wash.

They are very informal and fun.
Now that I have made these,
I may make 2 more sets out of plain
white or off white fabric for more formal occasions......
but formal doesn't happen too often in our home!
Happy Friday friends!
xoxo

0 comments:

Post a Comment